Posted to rec.woodworking
godsword godsword is offline

Default Milwaukee Buffer question

On 10/15/2010 6:53 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I recently asked for advice on some old power tools my Dad is only too
anxious to export from his garage to mine.

I took a couple that I had an immediate use for, but saw another not-
as-old tool that I don't even remember him owning. It looked sort of
like these:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...C%3A+Polishers

... but seemed bigger, heavier and with more metal on it.

My question is, is this principally for polishing cars? Or could a
strong, fit person use it to buff a nice sheen onto a wood finish as
well?

In previous posts I have taken the precaution of describing my skill
level (weekend home handyman who occasionally builds something) in
order to prepare you for what will likely turn out to be my complete
ignorance of the topic at hand. I repeat that practice here.

Be gentle.

I have one of those. Bought it more than 20 years ago out of Sears. It
is a grinder, a sander, a buffer, and I would not ever try to use it on
polishing wood. It would be just too aggressive. As a sander, on wood it
would eat rings in what you were trying to sand. As a buffer, it would
wear through your finish before you knew what was happening. It is
basically for working on metal.

Jack