Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Grand Designs (again)

On 16 Oct, 00:22, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
* *Andy Dingley wrote:

On 15 Oct, 23:23, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
I spent the whole weekend a couple ago in the middle of a wind farm in
the NE of Scotland. Was surprised just how slow they turned. Have
those no gearbox too?

They have gearboxes. They also have 3MW generators and masts you can
climb up the inside of for maintenance.

Indeed. Being a townie, I'd never been close to one before so didn't
realise just how big they are.
Some complain about the noise, but despite sleeping in a caravan very
close to one I didn't really notice it. Just a gentle swish.

--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The noise varies with windspeed.
I notice the one on the programme seemed to have no easy access to the
top of the pole. Yet another problem as it was so high(33m?)
How was it maintained?