Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Motor Reversing

On 10/15/10 6:07 PM, Stuart wrote:
In ,
wrote:

I haven't seen it corrode a single thing.
(This should cue some pseudo scientific diatribe about some oil in oak,
contained in a minuscule amout, which is technically an acid or oxidizer
of some sort which *can* corrode *something* on planet earth.)

Oak (and a few other woods) contains tannic acid which /over time/ will
corrode ordinary steel screws. I was taught to assemble stuff made with
oak with steel screws and then replace with brass. Choice of materials or
protective coatings will nullify any problems in this instance.

I knew *he* would, but I didn't think anyone else would jump in.
Have you read the thread up until this point, or even a couple posts
preceding?

Context is a wonderful thing.

--

-MIKE-