Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Motor Reversing

In article , says...

Me think we will wait until somebody shows a design drawing of where the
caliper goes when the saw blade tips at a 45 degree cut.

The same place the Sawstop mechanism goes.

I don't see this working well for a retrofit on a tablesaw with a
tilt...maybe a production lumber yeard saw. For a new design a custom moter
with a caliper brake would be feasible but eliminates a stock motor design
and the price would reach the SawStop price.

IMHO The dynamic brake would be more effective and less maintenance. I am
with clare on that one but then I am a "circuitry" guy.

If you're just looking for a convenience brake either buy a European saw
or use the damned pushstick.

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Too complex? On the contrary, it's very simple.

Well, one idea would be to mount it on the inside of the arbor so that it
does not even have to be removed to replace a blade.

You are going out of your way to make this appear to be complicated now.
Both sides? Why both sides? For the discussion at hand, one side would be
ample.

Sure - it you push it hard enough. No need for that level of pressure
though. Think about what forces your blade sees as you cut through a
knarley hunk of hardwood. It sees more lateral force than would be required
for a simple blade brake - which is the discussion at hand.

Sorry Clare - cannot trust you on this point. I see it as perfectly
workable and not subject to any of the concerns you've outlined. I do
understand both how the saw works and how calipers work but you have not
argued anything to make the idea impractical.