Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Carbide router bit and acrlyic

On 10/15/10 3:27 PM, Paul wrote:
Read this group all the time, but wow, haven't posted here in years. Now
I have a question concerning the use of a router bit to round off the
edges of a piece of acrlyic. Good idea or bad? Will the acrlyic piece
tend to shatter or get hot and just kinda melt and gum up the router
bit? It's a piece of 1/8" thick and I won't be taking much material off.
Thanks.

No experience at all doing it, but I've used a router a lot and I have
to think that, even on it's slowest speed, it's just going to melt it.

Off the top of my head.....
I've seen guys bend that stuff using a torch to soften it. What if you
softened it with a torch and followed behind with something that had the
profile you want? Sort of like a concrete worker forming an expansion
joint.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)