Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grand Designs (again)

In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 14 Oct, 14:40, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Indeed. But buying number one of anything has its risks. I did wonder
about the super efficient gearbox. That would have applications for
anything - so smelt of hype.

Most vertical axis turbines (actually most domestic scale turbines,
either way) have a 100% efficient gearbox by simple virtue of not
needing one - just drive the generator directly. TNP seems to think
that a gearbox and model aircraft motor is the way to go, so what more
evidence do you need?

The turbine on Grand Designs looked like a Skyrota, the bunch out
Londonderry way.

I spent the whole weekend a couple ago in the middle of a wind farm in the
NE of Scotland. Was surprised just how slow they turned. Have those no
gearbox too?

--
*I speak fluent patriarchy but it's not my mother tongue

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.