Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 15A outlets on 20A circuits

On Oct 15, 11:35*am, bud-- wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 14, 11:53 am, bud-- wrote:
RBM wrote:
wrote in message
On Oct 13, 5:42 pm, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message
On Oct 12, 10:47 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
And I have to disagree on that one. I can find the code section for
you later,
Yeah, you do that. We'll wait.
You didn't have to wait long. Here it is. No need to get sarcastic
and snippy.
" 210.21 Outlet Devices.
(B) Receptacles.
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single
receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an
ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit."
That is clear as day. A 20 amp single receptacle has an ampere rating
greater than that of the circuit, hence it MAY be used. If they
wanted to prohibit using a 20 amp or greater single receptacle on a 15
amp circuit, all they had to do was say the receptacle has to have a
rating EQUAL to the circuit.
but essentially it comes down to this. The code draws a
distinction between circuits with only one outlet and those with more
than one. With more than one outlet, it says you can't use a 20A
outlet on 15A circuit.
Wrong. It says you can't use a 20A outlet on a 15A circuit, period.
You've
apparently become confused by the provision that you can put 15A outlets
on a
20A circuit as long as there's more than one outlet. That's perfectly
OK.
Putting a 20A outlet on a 15A circuit is a violation in all cases,
without
regard to how many there are.
But for a circuit with only ONE outlet, the
code says the outlet rating must have a current rating at least equal
to the circuit rating.
It says no such thing. It is, for example, a violation to put a 50A
outlet
on
a 20A circuit.
Actually it does say exactly what I said it does, as shown above.
You're the one who's confused, which is OK, but why the attitude?
Hence, a 20A single outlet can be use on a 15
amp circuit.
No, it cannot. Look at Table 210.21(B)(3), where it lists the
permissible
receptacle ratings. For a 15-amp circuit, the maximum receptacle rating
is
"not over 15".
Yes, let's look at that section. In the same section where it starts
to explain those tables it starts off with:
"210.21(B)(3) Receptacle Ratings. Where connected to a branch circuit
supplying TWO or MORE receptacles or outlets, receptacle ratings shall
conform to the values listed in Table 210.21(B)(3)"
The added emphasis is mine. Since we are talking about using a SINGLE
20 amp outlet on a 15 amp circuit, those tables do NOT apply.
I agree that it doesn't make any sense to me.
Doesn't make any sense to me either. Of course, that's because you're
completely wrong about the rules.
Actually it's quite clear that you're the one who's wrong here. A
simple admission to that and apollogy for getting snippy will suffice.
I think the reason for that initial statement in the code, is because a 40
amp receptacle can be wired with a 40 or 50 amp circuit, but the table
makes
it perfectly clear that a 20 amp receptacle can't be wired with a 15 amp
circuit- Hide quoted text -
That table is preceeded by the statement, which I provided and is
shown above, that says it applies to circuits with TWO or more
receptacles. *If they wanted it to apply to ALL receptacles, including
single outlet ones, they could have simply omitted the word TWO, but
they did not. * And the section right before it clearly covers the
case of a SINGLE receptacle and allows a receptacle with a current
rating equal to or greater than the circuit to be used.
It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but that is what it says and it
allows using a single 20 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit.
[trader]
I agree that 210 does not prohibit a single 20A receptacle on a 15A circuit

But a 20A receptacle is virtually never allowed under 406.3-B. It would
make sense to at least point to 406 in 210. The logic is probably that
406 (Receptacles...) is the primary article and is modified by 210.
There is a reference to 210 in 406.3.

Most people would not be dumb enough to want a 20A receptacle on a 15A
circuit (there seems to be one exception).

I see what you're reading, but there is no text that says any receptacle,
single or duplex, can have a rating higher than the circuit feeding it.