Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default How old is that gasket?

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 08:04:11 -0400, Jeff Thies
wrote:

Or better, a new fridge. The efficiency of the ones made in the last
10 years or so is much better. It will eventually pay for itself and
electricity isn't getting cheaper. It's also nice having new.

Depends how you measure "efficiency."
Bought a new fridge about 5 years ago, and maybe it saves a few bucks
a month on electricity.
No choice - old one quit. It was maybe 30 years old.
But it cost about $500 bucks to buy the new one.
Long time for payback.
And it started banging (broken compressor suspension spring I'm told)
after a couple years, Don't have much confidence in it lasting long.
Also the wife is complaining about water collecting inside it, so
there's probably a drain problem to look at.
I'll wait until she bitches about that again.
Anyway, it often gets down to how long you'll shrug off the wife's
complaints with these appliances.
They always want a new one. That's pretty normal.
Only time I go in there is to get milk or beer.

Seems all these appliances are made in Mexico now, by outfits that
don't prize product longevity much.
Maybe the reviews and complaints have me fooled because it's the
folks with problems writing most of the reviews.
But my own experience with a gas range and this fridge tells me they
don't make them like they used to.

--Vic