Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default Weird toggle switch

wrote:
On Oct 15, 10:22 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 15, 8:55 am, Boothbay wrote:

I have a switch in bathroom that lights up my 25w florescent bulb.
For years I've used the up toggle switch to turn it on and down to
turn it off. Now, for the past week or so, its doing the reverse.
It won't turn on unless it turn it down. Is this possible? Its
really complicated to get at the switch cause its embedded into a
large medicine chest, and an old one at that...came with the house.

It sounds like someone flipped a 3-way switch someplace else in the
house and didn't notice it.

Think back...do you recall walking into the bathroom and saying "Who
left the damn light on?"

If so, then someone turned it on with the other 3 way switch and
didn't realize it. Find that switch, switch it the other way and
you'll be back to your usual up-down operation - until the next time
somebody toggles the other switch.

Possible it's a 3way, but doesn't sound very likely, since he says the
switch is part of the medicine cabinet. On the other hand, the only
other explanation I can think of is if it's one of the toggle switches
that fits into a round hole in the medicine cabinet, maybe someone
rotated the switch around 180degs.

either that, or someone's a practical joker in the family.

i once (back in the days of dumb crt terminals) cracked the case open,
turned the crt display tube upside down, closed it up, and placed it back on
a cow-orkers desk.