Posted to alt.home.repair
AngryOldWhiteGuy AngryOldWhiteGuy is offline

Default Fire Ants coming into new house from under foundation - any solutions?

wrote in message
news
On 10/14/2010 9:47 PM, Bob-tx wrote:

"Alex" wrote in message
We have a crazy problem with fire ants in our 6 month old house. It
started out a month ago when we found the garbage in our master bath

We have a house on a slab in North Texas - near Dallas - it's an older
house, and we moved in about 7 years ago. Before we moved in, I gave the
entire inside of the house a good spraying of Home Defense or something like
that, and on the outside of the house I put down a liberal dose of the
granules that you can put on your lawn with a broadcast spreader or you can
spread them around the perimiter of the house. But those remedies arr
relatively short-lived - they'll kill what's there, but there's not a real
long kikk effect (not more than 3 - 6 months).

What I believe made the biggest difference was putting some of that white or
blue roach powder (it's good for ants, too) around any area that I could get
to where a pipe comes up through the slab - behind bathroom cabinets, under
the kitchen sink, under kitchen cabinets, behind the clothes washer, behind
the fridge, and behind the stove, etc. - as long as it stays dry, it seems
to keep the crawling things at bay - we haven't seen but a couple of ants in
the 7 years we've been in the house. You can spray the powder into areas
where you can't see - like into the hole in the back of the bathroom cabinet
where the water pipes come in to service the sink.

I have recently seen very good results with Terro, too - it seems to work
inside and outside - it's a bait that they take back to the nest, but
suprisingly, it, too is based on borax - like the roach powder.