Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Home Depot and paint

On Oct 15, 9:48*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 15, 8:36*am, Swingman wrote:

On 10/14/2010 5:03 PM, Robatoy wrote:

So, IMHO, as a finish to do yourself, seems too crazy. I mean, ovens and
special spray gear..too silly.

So now I look for people who do this for you. Woodweb, my goto site
isn't much help yet.

Thanks for the effort though ... I wasn't very successful with finding
anything about the process myself.

I remember the finishes in the new houses in Germany back in the 70's.
The trim, moldings, doors, and cabinets had a (white) finish that you
could see yourself in, with a depth that spoke "quality". It looked
almost like plastic coating except not cheap looking in the least. It
was acheived, apparently, by literally dozens of coats of "paint",
expertly _brushed_ on, and sanded carefully between coats.

Gorgeous, and nothing you will find in this decadent society today.

There was one guy from a Balkan country here in Texas a few years ago
who advertised doing just that. He even contacted me about doing kitchen
cabinets in my houses at one point. He had a website and I even talked
to him a time or two on phone, but at the time everything we were doing
was stained, and I have not been able to get in touch with him since.

Would love to find him again.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I have, in the past, managed to get some very high gloss and durable
finishes by using an automotive 'system'.
Sikkens AutoCryl works very well when applied in reasonably normal
conditions. The AkzoNobel people , Sikkens' owners, have excellent
support technicians and documentation on their processes.
All that is required, is a clean spray booth, and quality spray gun,
strict adherence to their system and a seemingly disproportionate
amount of money. More on that in a bit.
The beauty of AutoCryl, is that one has a selection of additives which
allows one to control certain aspects of the finish.
A matting clear, which, when mixed in with the AutoCryl, gives
infinite control over the sheen. Products that fight fish-eyes, and
products that allow for more flexibility (used on deformable things
like car bumpers) again, in a range of ratios.
When used on MDF, they have a primer/filler which sands beautifully
and then gets followed up with a primer, colour coat, and several
clear coats...all in one continuous act. The wet-on-wet aspect gives
an adhesion which is unsurpassed by anything I am aware of. Of course,
no primers or colour coats on wood/veneers. The build is very high.
First time I did this, I knew I was dealing with a long drying time
and I decided to give it overnight. The next morning, I thought,
"****, this stuff is still soaking wet." It wasn't. It was dry, but
looked wet. I was blown away.
One panel, next to my gas range, still looks it did 15+ years ago.
Clear on cherry veneer. (3 coats, sanded in between) I dare say the
stuff is close to bullet proof. I added a bit of matting to get the
33% sheen in the final coat to match my standard cat lacquers.

Back to the money side. You have to toss aside all you know about
price per gallon. Mostly because the solids contents are so high,
compared to standard cat lacquers, you get 3 times the product, give
or take.

Follow their procedure and wear a serious mask; this stuff can hurt
you prior to curing.

I'll take a couple of pics around my kitchen to see if I can show the
finish.

the clear is called Autoclear, the coloured one-step is called
Autocryl.

Panel in kitchen. There for 17 years.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...stovepanel.jpg