Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default New woodturnings

tom koehler wrote:
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 21:50:51 -0500, Kevin Miller wrote
(in message ):

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1422642899

thanks for the picture link. I am not a facebook user, so am not familiar
with the way it works... the link shows me one image, a side view of an
excellent bowl, but no apparent (to me) method of seeing any other bowls.
Having done only the one segmented turning of my own, I am trying to wrap my
head around the method of getting the apparent curved form in the segments in
the tier near the top of the bowl.
What is the approximate diameter of this bowl, maybe somewheres around 10-12
inches?

Well that sucks. I figured that it would have the little arrows that
let you go to the next and previous ones. I put it up on Facebook per
Mac's request/suggestion. Maybe I should get a Flicker account and post
'em there.

I did post a couple other shots of it in
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, as well as some photos of the build
process. Sadly, more and more people are losing newsgroup access. But
if you go to http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/ you can see what's been
posted. DJ Delorie archives what lands there. Click on the week link.

The bowl is 11.5 across the top, give or take. The scallops are
actually pretty easy. This URL:
http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/117055-1.jpg
shows the feature ring and the one above it. The scallop appears
because you cut on the diagonal. The wood in front (sycamore and
purpleheart) is trimmed from the corner of the segment, exposing the
teak behind it. but in the center of the segment you're not cutting so
much, so that part is left.

Hope that makes sense. If not, just glue up a ring with contrasting
woods, mount it on the lathe and cut the side at an angle. It'll be
obvious when you do.

Best...

....Kevin
--