Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Motor Reversing

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 16:38:53 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 10/14/10 4:22 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
Then start sawing oak, and leaving the VERY CORROSIVE sawdust caked
onto every surface of the caliper.

Geez Chicken Little, how many mountains are you going to make out of
molehills on this topic? Just about every point you've tried to make has
had the air of doom, disaster, and failure. This ain't that friggin'
difficult, Penelope.

And since when is Oak sawdust corrosive... no, I'm sorry..."VERY
CORROSIVE?"

Never see the black staining in oak from non-galvanized nails? That is
due to corrosion. Doesn't take much corrosion to make a caliper just
fussy enough that it might not do the required job (for which it was
not designed).

See also:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36276187/C...Metals-by-Wood

I saw my fair amount of oak and I'm not exactly a neat guy in the shop.
I clean up my saw dust when it ****es me off enough, which is usually
when it's in the way of the next project, which means, it can sit around
under the saw, on my tools, all kinds of other metal, plastic, and
rubber stuff, including the end of this run-on sentence, for months at a
time.

I haven't seen it corrode a single thing.
(This should cue some pseudo scientific diatribe about some oil in oak,
contained in a minuscule amout, which is technically an acid or oxidizer
of some sort which *can* corrode *something* on planet earth.)