Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Keeping metal stuff in plastic shed

On 2010-10-11, David Billington wrote:

whit3rd wrote:

* * * * [ ... ]

Dehumidifier sounds like a good solution, but (trust me,
I've tested) the compressor/coils type generally
freezes up at any temperature under 60 degees

Not sure about your 60 degree limit, I bought a dehumidifier about 17
year ago and it was rated to operate down to +3 C

* * * * How old was the one which was freezing up?

About 10 years old; it might be that I've had a succession of cheapos,
but three (Kenmore on the outside, LG on the inside) models had
similar
behavior. The electric usage, too, was high (about $10-$30 per
month).
These had humidistat mechanical controls, I imagine a timer-cycle
unit could
handle the frost problem easily.