Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buying a new (well water bladder) pressure tank

On Oct 14, 10:35*am, dpb wrote:
millinghill wrote:
Tank location is in basement corner, so no need to be beautiful.
There's enough corrosion on the tank tee to indicate the whole
assembly's getting on in years. *Certainly older than the 6years I've
owned this place.
I've not verified if or where the leak is.
Honestly, I'm worried that if I attempt to recharge the air, some
immediate failure will occur and I'll be without water until I _run_
and get a new tank now. *(Is this a legitimate concern?) *So just
dealing with the somewhat more frequent pumping (pump engages every 2
gallons used, on average) until I replace.

I'd not worry, no.

Recharge it will be better for the system than continuing to cycle the pump.

I agree. The only risk I see is if the valve stem is corroded/shot so
bad that it starts leaking water. And it would only leak water if the
bladder was ruptured. If you have 12 PSI with the tank drained, that
should not be an issue. The only other bad thing that could happen, I
guess, if the air valve is fouled up and you try to put air in it, and
it leaks all the air out, you could wind up with no air at all. But
then you should be able to just replace the air valve, again unless
the whole thing is shot.

I'd recommend looking at diaphragm type as well...can't recall what the
brand here is--they're blue, though *I'll try to recall to go to the
well house and look while I'm out...