Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default Motor Reversing

On 10/14/2010 1:47 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 10/14/10 11:58 AM, Bill wrote:
On 10/14/2010 12:44 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 10/14/10 11:17 AM, Bill wrote:
On 10/14/2010 12:15 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 10/14/10 6:39 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
Another reality check for all the people taking this thread off into
the
wild blue yonder is the issue of getting the blade onto the arbor in
the
presence of calipers that grip either side of the blade. My interest
(and Mike's as well, I think) in using a bicycle brake was simply a
matter of "how can I retrofit my existing table saw with a simple
convenience brake?" I think the wide-opening jaws of a bicycle brake
(maybe along with some kind of front-side cable disconnect to allow
the
calipers to drop out of the way) would allow enough clearance to get
the
blade on the arbor without too much trouble.

Heck, I think if it was mounted closer to the arbor than the edge, one
pad on the arbor side of the blade would be sufficient for a
convenience
slow/stop.

Maybe so, but that sounds like asking for trouble!

Bill

How? Really. :-)

I'll defer to your wisdom and experience which is surely more vast than
mine. My limited experience and intuition tells me "something is wrong
in that picture"... : )

Bill

And here I thought usenet for was for sharing ideas and learning from
one another.
How silly of me.

I read this on the Internet:
... avoid unnecessary stress on the motor or arbor bearings.

Bill