Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Grand Designs (again)

On 14 Oct, 11:26, "tim...." wrote:
So, according to Kevin's voiceover, the house the guy was building was being
built of materials which stored heat from the summer to release in the
winter!

How does that work then? *Surely for there to be enough heat put into the
walls for there to be any left at the end of the winter the house would be
unbearably warm in the summer!

Oh and 40 grand for a wind turbine that doesn't work! *What a great
investment that was.

tim

I think we can conclude that it's a failure
I have a similar house, except it looks like a normal house. I have
about three times the insulation and insulated shutters on the window
together with active heat collection.
In a normal Winter I can get to Christmas before the heat's leaking
out faster than the TV and refrigerator can put it back. I have a
small woodburing stove.
The design was stupid, his solar windows were shaded out by adjacent
trees and by the curve. It would have been better if the convex curve
had faced South and had the big windows.
He seemed to have no insulation under the floors either.
As for the turbine, he needs to get a refund.