Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 15A outlets on 20A circuits

On Oct 13, 6:41*pm, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 02:36:56 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

And while we're at it, the code also says you can use a 20 amp single
outlet on a 15 amp circuit,

It says no such thing.

If it is fused at 15 amps it doesn't matter what kind of plug is on
the end (as long as it is rated for at LEAST 15 amps - the circuit is
protected. - code issues - if any- aside.

According to the article it does matter. First of all, in legalese, saying
"not less than" doesn't mean that it can be greater than. It just can't be
less than.

This isn't much of a case of legalese, which is usually used to refer
to long, winding sentences that are difficult to decipher. This is
one short, direct sentence. Saying it can't be "less than" leaves
open exactly two possibilities:

A - It can equal to

B - It can be greater than

Either of those options is valid and not restricted. If they wanted
to retrict it to just A, all they had to do was say the receptacle has
to be equal to the circuit rating.

Let's take some other examples. Suppose the law says that on a
certain section of road you must maintain a vehicle speed not less
than 40MPH. Would you argue they mean I can't drive at 55MPH? Or
that a section of the plumbing code says a pipe must be rated not less
than 160 PSI. Does that mean I can't use a pipe rated at 250 PSI ?

Second, the table in the same article shows that a receptacle on
a 15 amp circuit cant' be rated over 15 amps.
Personally, I'd like to know that if I have an appliance that has a 20 amp
plug on it, and I find a 20 amp receptacle that I can plug it into, a 15 amp
breaker isn't limiting the current.

On that I agree with you 100%, which is why I brought up the issue in
the first place. Like you and I think 99% of the rest of the world, I
would not put a 20 amp receptacle on any 15 amp circuit, as at the
very least, it leads to confusion.