Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 15A outlets on 20A circuits

On Oct 13, 8:49*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:

On Oct 12, 10:36=A0pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .=

com, wrote:

And while we're at it, the code also says you can use a 20 amp single
outlet on a 15 amp circuit,

It says no such thing.

Actually it does:

It does not.

" 210.21 Outlet Devices.
(B) Receptacles.
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single
receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an
ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit."

You stopped reading too soon. Table 210.21(B)(3) specifically lists the
permissible rating of receptacles on a 15A circuit as "not over 15A".

It's you who either can't read, or more likely, as usually, will not
simply admit that there was something that you didn't know about and
were wrong. I already pointed out that the table you are referring
to, Table 210.21(B)(3), DOES NOT APPLY because it starts off by
clearly saying right there in plain English that the table applies to
circuits with TWO OR MORE receptacles. You do understand that TWO
receptacles is not the same thing as ONE receptacle, don;t you?

Here again is what you are relying on to make your case:

"210.21(B)(3) Receptacle Ratings. Where connected to a branch circuit
supplying TWO or MORE receptacles or outlets, receptacle ratings shall
conform to the values listed in Table 210.21(B)(3)"

We are talking about a SINGLE receptacle. The rules for receptacles
are clearly seperated in the NEC into two cases, circuits with single
receptacles and circuits with multiple receptacles. Multiple outlets
are covered by the section with the table you keep trying to use.
The code covers single outlets in the section just before it, 210.21(B)
(1):

" 210.21 Outlet Devices.
(B) Receptacles.
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single
receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an
ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit."

Since 20 amps is greater than 15 amps, the 20 amp receptacle may be
used
on a circuit where it is the only receptacle. Following your process,
one coud use a table in the code that says it applies to circuits less
than 600 volts and apply it to circuits over 600 volts or vice
versa. Somehow I think it doesn't work that way. Anyone who wants
to read the sections in the actual NEC, and make up their own minds,
which I encourage, it's available online he

http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/Ab...&EditionID=238

It's a good resource for everyone to have. After you have the book
open, click on the TOC button in the lower left to bring up the table
of contents, then go to section 2, flip through a few pages until you
get to 210.21 It's all there in a few short, clear paragraphs.