Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default 15A outlets on 20A circuits

wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 20:02:46 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message
On Oct 12, 6:41 pm, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

On Oct 12, 7:56 am, "RBM" wrote:

"RBM" wrote in message

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Last week, I posted about running 12/2 wire for a kitchen reno.
Well
all the circuits are run. I decided on running all 12/2 instead of
12/3 and splitting circuits. Looking ahead to outlets, had a
question.
I think I know the answer, but just wanted to confirm.

I ran 4 new circuits for the fridge, microwave/range hood, and
counter
outlets. Am I allowed to use regular 15A outlets? For the counter
outlets, I am using regular 15A Decora and GFI's, and for the
fridge,
microwave just wanted to use regular outlets, like the kind you can
get a 10Pk for like $5 at Lowes.

15 amp outlets are fine. The refrigerator doesn't need to be GFCI
protected, but all the counter outlets do. A 15 amp GFCI outlet has
20
amp feed through

Just to clarify. A single 15 amp outlet can't be installed on a 20 amp
dedicated circuit, but a duplex is fine

This is another example of things in the code that don't seem to make
any sense, at least to me. If one can install multiple 15 amp
outlets on a 20 amp circuit, why the restriction on installing just
one?

And while we're at it, the code also says you can use a 20 amp single
outlet on a 15 amp circuit, but you can't install multiple 20's on a
15 amp circuit.

Why the big distinction between single versus multiple outlets?

The feed through of a 15 amp outlet is 20 amps. You cannot install a 20
amp
outlet on a 15 amp circuit Nec 210.21 B3- Hide quoted text -

Again, here's what the section you are referring to says. From 2008
NEC,

210.21 (B) (3)
Receptacle Ratings. Where connected to a branch circuit supplying TWO
OR MORE receptacles or outlets, receptacle ratings shall conform to
the values listed in Table 210.21 (B) (3)....

The added emphasis is mine. We are talking about a SINGLE receptacle,
so that section and it's table do not apply. Section 210.21 (B) (1),
which preceeds it, specifically addresses the case of a single
receptacle.

21210.21 (B) (1)
Single receptacle on an individual branch circuit. A single
receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an
ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

Do you not agree that a single 20 amp outlet on a 15 amp circuit meets
that requirement? Note that I'm not saying it makes sense to me, but
it's clearly what it says.

No, I respect your logic, but I think that the Nec is written in an often
incoherent legalese, which is why I use the handbook. It says that it
can't
be less than, but it doesn't say that it can be greater than. I think
from
a practical perspective, one should be able to expect a 20 amp receptacle
be fed by a 20 amp circuit

Not reasonable.
You have a multibranch 15 amp circuit with 4 duplex 15 amp
receptacles. You think it is only reasonable to expect to be able to
plug 8 15 amp devices into the circuit??
Give your head a shake.

No, but I would expect to be able to plug in one 15 amp device, and I would
be correct, unlike having a 20 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit, where the
same expectation wouldn't be met. Must just be my Boolean logic