Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fred Flintstone Milling

dan wrote:

Wes wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:52:26 -0400:

Today I had to mount some new tooling to an assembly fixture at work. One problem, there
was metal in the way that would have been easy to remove on a milling machine but I can't
fit the fixture in the mill nor take the time to rip it completely apart to transport the
detail that needs rework.

So, I resorted to those cold chisel things that came with my assortments of pin punches. I
read once that key ways were often cut with chisels so I figured hell, I've done some
woodworking with wood chisels, I'll give it a shot.

It worked out better than I thought it would

I did similar a few weeks ago. I needed a square hole to take the
shank of a carriage bolt. I looked for a square file, but couldn't
find any. But I did find a chisel. Worked much better than I would
have thought. By the time I did the forth one, it was easy.

About 15 years ago I needed to run sone new 25 pair telephone cables
in a radio station without putting them off the air. The only spot to
run the cable already had one cable, with no room to run another. The
were stunned when they came back and I had use a small cold chisel to
enlarge the hole around the existing cable, trough a concrete block. I
never did tell them how I got that nice square hole to pull the extra
three cables. Wrong tool, wrong application but a perfect install of
three more studio telephones! ;-)

enough left over to pay them.