Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fred Flintstone Milling

On 2010-10-13, Wes wrote:

[ ... ]

So, I resorted to those cold chisel things that came with my assortments of pin punches. I
read once that key ways were often cut with chisels so I figured hell, I've done some
woodworking with wood chisels, I'll give it a shot.

It worked out better than I thought it would but now I pose the question. Back in the day
when they actually cut a key seat this way, what did the chisel look like at the pointy
end? Like the typical cold chisel or more like a wood chisel? Hell, anything informative
on the subject of machining with a hammer and chisel would be interesting.

Check out "cape chisel" at this site:

http://www.using-tools.com/chisels.htm

If your set of pin punches is like mine, there is one cold
chisel and one cape chisel in there -- so you probably got the right
tool the first try.

Now that you know the name -- do a Google search to find more
details. Some of what I found was links to PDF files which were awkward
to get the URL -- but the PDF had good information, including other uses
of the cape chisels that I did not know of.

Sorry for the on topic post but I can't resist asking.

I think that I can forgive you. I don't know whether the
political debaters can, however. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564