Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New material: epoxy

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:37:04 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

It's kind of fun to watch a cup melt and deform as the stuff heats up.
BTDT

"another anxiety-producing dilemma: too much or not enough?"

The real dilemma is: Can I mix just enough to get it all used up
before it gets unworkable, so there is no waste? That's an art.

A fun tip:

If you need to keep epoxy from sticking to something, coat the
something with vaseline.

Paste wax works every bit as well, and it won't "pollute" the epoxy.
Vaseline can retard or weaken the resin - not positive about epoxy -
but definitely not good with Polyester.

I've made molds by coating objects with vaseline, wrapping it with
epoxy/fiberglass and then sliding the object out.

I've made tunnels through thick masses of epoxy/fiberglass by coating
dowels with vaseline and then pulling them out once it's cured. You
get a nice neat tunnel with no drilling required.

I drilled 3/4" holes halfway through a board, dropped nuts into the
holes and inserted vaseline coated bolts through the top of the board
to hold the nut in place. I then poured epoxy around the nut to seal
it into the board, sanded it and painted it. The nuts were permanently
embedded (and hidden) in the wood and I could bolt and unbolt objects
as I needed.