Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New material: epoxy

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:44:27 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Oct 13, 12:14Â*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 10/13/2010 7:34 AM ransley spake thus:

On Oct 13, 12:12 am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

[Well, not new, just new to me]

Now we've all used epoxy sometime in our lives. at least to glue
something back together. I've done that many times, but I never
used liquid epoxy until today, when I came to the part of my
door-restoration project where I sealed the outside of the door
with marine epoxy. My experiences with this substance follow. Long
post, be warned.

Just for background, the project is re-facing a beautiful Craftsman
door whose plywood skin had started to delaminate badly. The door
is a big (42") door with nine beveled lites of various sizes, and
was at one time very nicely covered in oak-veneer plywood. The
original plan was to try to restore the veneer on the face. After
doing a partial repair a couple years ago where I reglued just the
top layer of veneer, I determined that this was beyond my
capabilities and started asking around at local shops. To make a
long story short, the answers I got were either "can't do it"
(would have to replace all the glass with safety glass to bring it
up to code, etc.), or the job was prohibitively expen$ive.

So we decided I'd just reface the door, restore the top surface and
make it smooth and level, and paint it. Keep the old Craftsman
design, just lose the natural wood facing. So I peeled off about
half of the old plywood (mainly from the bottom half of the door),
cleaned up the surface, and glued on new 1/4" marine plywood
(HydroTech). Also pieced in some of the old oak veneer I had left
over in places where only the top layer had let go, leaving a solid
substrate. This left lots of discontinuities and gaps, since the
plywood I used wasn't exactly the same thickness (and in some cases
had been glued over the bottom layer of old veneer which was still
well bonded). So I filled these in by gooping on lots of PC-Woody
(basically a wood-epoxy paste).

Is it UV resistant and stable so it wont degrade in a few years, I
dont think so, I dont believe its meant as a top coat.

Don't worry your pretty little head about that, Mr. Can't Be Bothered to
Use Apostrophes. It's not being used as a topcoat: I'm going to prime
and paint over it, so UV resistance isn't an issue. (Besides, epoxy is
more UV resistant than most varnishes.)

- Comment from an article on Antiwar.com (http://antiwar.com)- Hide quoted text -

Bondo would have been quicker, easier, cheaper. Yes it hold up on
doors.

Bondo is Polyester based and is hygroscopic. (it attracts and holds
moisture). If not properly sealed it will pop if the moisture gets in
and freezes. I've used bondo on wood - won't use it again.