Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Default Fred Flintstone Milling

Wes wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:52:26 -0400:

Today I had to mount some new tooling to an assembly fixture at work. One problem, there
was metal in the way that would have been easy to remove on a milling machine but I can't
fit the fixture in the mill nor take the time to rip it completely apart to transport the
detail that needs rework.

So, I resorted to those cold chisel things that came with my assortments of pin punches. I
read once that key ways were often cut with chisels so I figured hell, I've done some
woodworking with wood chisels, I'll give it a shot.

It worked out better than I thought it would

I did similar a few weeks ago. I needed a square hole to take the
shank of a carriage bolt. I looked for a square file, but couldn't
find any. But I did find a chisel. Worked much better than I would
have thought. By the time I did the forth one, it was easy.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.