Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default Fred Flintstone Milling

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:52:26 -0400, Wes wrote:

Today I had to mount some new tooling to an assembly fixture at work. One
problem, there was metal in the way that would have been easy to remove on
a milling machine but I can't fit the fixture in the mill nor take the
time to rip it completely apart to transport the detail that needs rework.

So, I resorted to those cold chisel things that came with my assortments
of pin punches. I read once that key ways were often cut with chisels so I
figured hell, I've done some woodworking with wood chisels, I'll give it a
shot.

It worked out better than I thought it would but now I pose the question.
Back in the day when they actually cut a key seat this way, what did the
chisel look like at the pointy end? Like the typical cold chisel or more
like a wood chisel? Hell, anything informative on the subject of
machining with a hammer and chisel would be interesting.

Sorry for the on topic post but I can't resist asking.

Hey, get real good with hammer and chisel, and you might turn out
to be the next Michaelangelo! "Well, I took this big block of marble,
and just cut away everything that didn't look like David." ;-)

Cheers!
Rich