Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default New material: epoxy

On Oct 13, 8:33*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*David Nebenzahl wrote:

[Well, not new, just new to me]

Now we've all used epoxy sometime in our lives. at least to glue
something back together. I've done that many times, but I never used
liquid epoxy until today, when I came to the part of my door-restoration
project where I sealed the outside of the door with marine epoxy. My
experiences with this substance follow. Long post, be warned.

snipped

Glad your foray went well. I like West. Among other things, I use it to
pot guitar pickups into their injection molded plastic covers. I premix
some black pigment into the resin before adding hardener. I mix up about
3 pints at a time in a 2 quart plastic pitcher with a pour spout. Use a
cordless drill to drive a plastic impeller to mix it, but avoid
cavitation to keep the bubbles out of it.

One thing I don't like is the pumps. Can't always tell whether they're
primed, and if they aren't, you don't get an accurate measure. Also, if
you need less than a full stroke's worth, you either waste a bunch or
you guess at a half stroke. And, the pumps end up getting messy.
Instead, I go by weight, using a digital scale with a resolution of 0.01
lbs.

"One thing I don't like is the pumps. Can't always tell whether
they're primed..."

I won't disagree with the use of a scale, but as far as priming the
pumps...

I prime the pumps into separate cups and once I'm satisfied that they
are primed, I set the "priming cups" aside and mix the ingredients in
the tray/cup from which I'll use the epoxy.

Once I'm done with the epoxy for the day/session, I pour the stuff
from the "priming cups" back into their respective cans.

Everything else you've said about half-strokes and the mess is
absolutely true. I really should get a scale. ;-)