Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default 15A outlets on 20A circuits

Steve Barker wrote:
On 10/12/2010 6:29 PM, RBM wrote:
wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 07:55:15 -0400, wrote:

wrote in message

Last week, I posted about running 12/2 wire for a kitchen reno. Well
all the circuits are run. I decided on running all 12/2 instead of
12/3 and splitting circuits. Looking ahead to outlets, had a question.
I think I know the answer, but just wanted to confirm.

I ran 4 new circuits for the fridge, microwave/range hood, and counter
outlets. Am I allowed to use regular 15A outlets? For the counter
outlets, I am using regular 15A Decora and GFI's, and for the fridge,
microwave just wanted to use regular outlets, like the kind you can
get a 10Pk for like $5 at Lowes.

15 amp outlets are fine. The refrigerator doesn't need to be GFCI
protected,
but all the counter outlets do. A 15 amp GFCI outlet has a 20 amp feed
through

He is NOT using a GFCI on the fridge. Read it again.
NEVER use a GFCI on a fridge or freezer.

I misread that, but just for clarification, the Nec requires GFCI
protection
by receptacle location, not by what you're planning to plug into the
outlet.
Every receptacle in a garage, or unfinished part of a basement
requires GFCI
protection, even if you plan to plug in a fridge or freezer

UNLESS.... there's always an exception.

All but one of the exceptions disappeared in the 2008 NEC. (The
remaining one is for alarm panels.)

The NEC panel does not see a problem with refrigeration on GFCI. In
commercial kitchens plug-in refrigeration (15/20A, 120V) is required to
be on GFCIs. The UL allowed leakage is around 0.5mA if I remember right.

--
bud--