Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default New material: epoxy

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

[Well, not new, just new to me]

Now we've all used epoxy sometime in our lives. at least to glue
something back together. I've done that many times, but I never used
liquid epoxy until today, when I came to the part of my
door-restoration project where I sealed the outside of the door with
marine epoxy. My experiences with this substance follow. Long post,
be warned.

snipped

Glad your foray went well. I like West. Among other things, I use it
to pot guitar pickups into their injection molded plastic covers. I
premix some black pigment into the resin before adding hardener. I mix
up about 3 pints at a time in a 2 quart plastic pitcher with a pour
spout. Use a cordless drill to drive a plastic impeller to mix it, but
avoid cavitation to keep the bubbles out of it.

one trick is to mix in a tray instead of a cup or bowl.
the wider,shallow tray keeps the epoxy mass from heating up too fast.

One thing I don't like is the pumps. Can't always tell whether they're
primed, and if they aren't, you don't get an accurate measure. Also,
if you need less than a full stroke's worth, you either waste a bunch
or you guess at a half stroke. And, the pumps end up getting messy.
Instead, I go by weight, using a digital scale with a resolution of
0.01 lbs.

West,System Three and RAKA are good,boat-building type epoxies.
I use RAKA because they had the best price for the 1.5qt "kit".
I use West fillers(fumed silica,microballoons,wood flour,chopped plastic
fiber,chopped glass fiber) because they are available at a local boating
supply store.(along with glass cloth)

you can get measuring cups at HD or Lowes,in the paint section. for small
jobs,Wal-Mart Pharmacy or hobby shops,1 oz cups,marked in
fractions,mL,drams,Tblsp.
or use oral syringes.

--
Jim Yanik