Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Courtney David Courtney is offline

Default Brake Rotor protectant

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Friend of mine, has a Buick station wagon, 1993.

Last time he did front brakes and rotors, he neglected
to take the grease or wax or whatever off the rotors.

We aren't sure, but maybe that was part of why he
needed brake pads and rotors again so soon. Does
anyone know?

As he was about to put the rotor on, I handed him some
spray solvent (carb cleaner; it's what I had). And paper
towels, he didn't know about degreasing the rotors. I'd
been told to degrease them, by several mechanics I know.

Does it make a big difference? Does leaving the grease on
contaminate the pads, and make the pads wear faster?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The lining inside the rubber brake hoses that run from the frame to the
caliper deteriorate and prevent the brakes from releasing completely... so
the pads "drag" on the rotor and wear out very fast.
The lines look fine on the outside, but the inner lining separates from
the casing and forms a "check valve" that holds a little bit of pressure on
the pads.