Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Nick Fielding Nick Fielding is offline

Default Q: Replacing the blu-ray Laser Diode of a PS3

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to replace a laser diode inside a ps3 blu-
ray drive. I think I now know the best way to extract the diode.

My problem is installing the new diode; I have read in several places
that it's not simply a case of whacking the new one in, it has to be
aligned? Is this true, and if so, what would be the best way to go
about aligning it? How much is it likely to have to be rotated, i.e.
fractions of a degree or larger? I don't see that it can be rotated
that much as its degree of rotation would be limited by the flex cable
it's soldered to.

Many thanks for any help!
Nick