Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default 15A outlets on 20A circuits

I'd use "spec grade" everywhere on principle. last house I think
receps were done in mid 80s and there were enough of them that didn't
grab a plug with reassuring tightness that I replaced 'em all, every
last one. Downstairs was Decora at the request of SWMBO and big box
only had contractor specials but when I did upstairs I used
traditional duplexes with antique plates & also had found supply house
that was open on Saturdays so got spec grade for those at about the
same price as the el cheapos from the big box. Also found some old
spec grade switches both SPST and 3-way NIB for dirt cheap @
architectural salvage place. go me.

of course if you are only going to be in house 5 years it probably
doesn't matter. In my case the spec grade didn't get me anything but
the satisfaction of a job well done because my plans changed and I no
longer live there. But at least I did it right. nobody'll be
bitching about the quality of my work, unlike my opinion of whoever
did the last go-round (wasn't just the cheap receps that ****ed me
off, there were other issues...)

nate

On Oct 12, 12:37*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I've found that 12 ga wire won't go into the back stabs of 15 amp
sockets. Which is a good thing. Helps keep people from using heavy
loads on cheap sockets.

The more pricey 15 amp sockets, the screw tightens two pieces of metal
to grab the wire. These, I like. If you're plugging and unplugging
frequently, I'd use the $2 sockets, not the 50 cent sockets.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mikepier" wrote in message

Last week, I posted about running 12/2 wire for a kitchen reno. Well
all the circuits are run. I decided on running all 12/2 instead of
12/3 and splitting circuits. Looking ahead to outlets, had a question.
I think I know the answer, but just wanted to confirm.

I ran 4 new circuits for the fridge, microwave/range hood, and counter
outlets. Am I allowed to use regular 15A outlets? For the counter
outlets, I am using regular 15A Decora and GFI's, and for the fridge,
microwave just wanted to use regular outlets, like the kind you can
get a 10Pk for like $5 at Lowes.