Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default 15A outlets on 20A circuits

dpb wrote:
Bob wrote:
On Oct 12, 11:07 am, Roy wrote:

You'd better re-read the code book. There is a difference with "split"
receptacles in wiring procedure. If you plug two appliances and each
are drawing 15 amp into an unsplit duplex receptacle which is serviced
by one duplex cable, you will blow the circuit breaker. If the split
receptacle is serviced by two different hot leads each appliance will
draw 15 amp and the load is 15 amp on each HALF of the receptacle.
Most code books that I've seen diagram how to do kitchen circuits as
most "counter" circuits require 20 amp breakers.- Hide quoted text -

The only code book that counts is the NEC, and it doesn't show
diagrams of how to do kitchen circuits or anything else for that
matter.

As for the question about whether a 15 amp duplex receptacle can
handle two seperate loads that combined are more than 15amps, I'd say
the answer is yes. Clearly the NEC allows using multiple 15 amp
duplex outlets on a 20 amp circuit. If any duplex outlet could not
safely handle 16, 17..., 20 amps combined, there would be a big safety
issue.

This is from memory and I've not kept up w/ changes (but I'd be
surprised if this has changed)...

15A branch circuits. NEC has no limits on number of outlets/circuit;
commonsense prevails. Receptacles may be no more than 15A rated. Any
one cord-and-plug appliance may exceed 12A.

Minor typo.

If the circuit also
supplies any load fastened in place, that load may not exceed 7-1/2A.

20A branch circuits. Receptacles may be either 15A or 20A. No single
cord-and-plug appliance may exceed 16A. If the circuit also supplies
any load(s) fastened in place, the total load may not exceed 10A.

The 12 and 16A limits on 15 and 20A circuits is in 210.21-B-2. A while
ago there were several proposals written to change this section. One of
the common arguments is that UL allows a 15A plug on devices that draw
over 12A (maybe a hair dryer). The same is probably true for 20A plugs.
The code panel response was 'we're right, UL is wrong'. (Another of the
arguments was that the NEC does not normally make unenforceable
restrictions about what happens after the inspector leaves.)

I am confident everyone will watch what they plug in to insure they
don't use a UL listed product whose use does not conform to the NEC.

--
bud--