Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

Default 15A outlets on 20A circuits

On Oct 12, 7:43*am, Mikepier wrote:
On Oct 12, 9:21*am, N8N wrote:

On Oct 12, 8:56*am, wrote:

On Oct 12, 7:56*am, "RBM" wrote:

"RBM" wrote in message

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Last week, I posted about running 12/2 wire for a kitchen reno. Well
all the circuits are run. I decided on running all 12/2 instead of
12/3 and splitting circuits. Looking ahead to outlets, had a question.
I think I know the answer, but just wanted to confirm.

I ran 4 new circuits for the fridge, microwave/range hood, and counter
outlets. Am I allowed to use regular 15A outlets? For the counter
outlets, I am using regular 15A Decora and GFI's, and for the fridge,
microwave just wanted to use regular outlets, like the kind you can
get a 10Pk for like $5 at Lowes.

15 amp outlets are fine. The refrigerator doesn't need to be GFCI
protected, but all the counter outlets do. A 15 amp GFCI outlet has a 20
amp feed through

Just to clarify. A single 15 amp outlet can't be installed on a 20 amp
dedicated circuit, but a duplex is fine

This is another example of things in the code that don't seem to make
any sense, at least to me. * If one can install multiple 15 amp
outlets on a 20 amp circuit, why the restriction on installing just
one?

And while we're at it, the code also says you can use a 20 amp single
outlet on a 15 amp circuit, but you can't install multiple 20's on a
15 amp circuit.

Why the big distinction between single versus multiple outlets?

I would ASSume because that if you were drawing, say, 18A on a circuit
that only had one 15A single receptacle on it, it'd be a fair bet that
it was whatever was plugged into that recep that was drawing all that
current. *However, with a *duplex* recep that is not necessarily the
case.

nate- Hide quoted text -

But let's say you have a coffee maker and a toaster plugged into one
15A duplex, and both are being used at the same time. Obviously now
you are drawing more than 15A. Can the duplex handle that? Is each
outlet rated for 15A, or is the entire device rated for 15A?

==
You'd better re-read the code book. There is a difference with "split"
receptacles in wiring procedure. If you plug two appliances and each
are drawing 15 amp into an unsplit duplex receptacle which is serviced
by one duplex cable, you will blow the circuit breaker. If the split
receptacle is serviced by two different hot leads each appliance will
draw 15 amp and the load is 15 amp on each HALF of the receptacle.
Most code books that I've seen diagram how to do kitchen circuits as
most "counter" circuits require 20 amp breakers.