Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Panel Edge Glue-ups Without Jointing?

On Oct 12, 2:20*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 12, 2:08*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

On 10/12/10 1:01 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Not so fast. TruMatch router bit is the way to go for end-to-end panel
glue-ups. IMHO. (Wavy bit)
Once you get used to that system, nothing else will do.

Oh crap. *Go away, would you!?

--

* *-MIKE-

Well, Mike.... I have glued up, end-to-end panels of justabout any
veneered panels with the kind of results that made me a believer in a
hurry. Hundreds of them. (YES, Robert....hundreds)
The fact that is a solid surface joining technique doesn't make it
less effective with anything else.
It levels, extends the glue line (a half inch panel becomes a 5/8"
wide glue line) and when using a proper fence, you get that perfect
edge time and time gain.
It works, dammit.

I'm intrigued, believe me. *I see that Freud has one, too.
I'm still having trouble finding a link to the "base" that I assume gets
you a perfect offset in height between the left and right pieces to be
joined.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2elob3u

That wavy bit router base is available for $ 46.00. That and the bit
will give you a system that will make you slap your forehead.
BUT

there are a couple of tricks which make it even better.

3 sections glued together my way.
http://topworks.ca/Resources/Kitchen-2.jpg