Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Motor Reversing

On 10/12/2010 11:04 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Have you seen the videos and live demonstration? It does no harm.
They wouldn't be selling like hotcakes if their marketing strategy
centered around "losing only a pint of blood, instead of a whole finger."
Have you seen the video demonstrations? They've been done with lunch
meat and human fingers.

17 teeth?

How fast can you push your finger?

wrote in message

That may be true, but they still don't do any harm.

Sawstop stops the blade in 1/200 of a second, according to their Web
site. At 3450 RPM that means the blade stops in .29 revolution, which
with a 60 tooth blade means that 17 teeth have had a shot at your
finger.

And with a 60-tooth blade spinning at 3450 RPM, that's 3450 teeth spinning past
every *second*. At that speed, coming to a dead stop after only 17 teeth have
had a chance to cut anything is pretty damn good. Unless you're just flat-out
careless or stupid (or both) and are wildly advancing your fingers towards the
blade, 17 teeth are not going to do much damage. I could do much worse in the
blink of an eye with a careless swipe of my pocketknife.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.