Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Home Depot and paint

On 10/12/2010 11:11 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

wrote

I would have rented uniforms for my guys, used an unknown brand of
paint and tripled the price.

Actually, that would have probably made that guy happy!

I had a friend of mine who worked for one of those "high end" painting
companies.

He worked out of his dining room. He owned nothing. Everything was
rented or leased. All his paint equipment was rented by the week.

He drove a very nice leased car. He wore suits. He had fancy signs made
up to put around the neighborhood when he was painting a house. He had
tee shirts with his logo that his painters wore. Nothing fancy, but it
matched.

His strategy? He did not compete on price. He charged three times the
going rate. He did extensive prep work. Lots of sanding, etc. He took
his time and did a good job.

Every house he painted, he got a referral or two at least. He had more
business than he could handle. Everybody would get a number of bids. And
when he came in much higher than the others, They would ask why. He
would explain that he did much higher quality work, he used much better
paint, took his time and did a good job. Enough people saw this as an
attractive alternative to the el cheapo jobs offered elsewhere. He did
quite well. He worked about 6 months a year.

By the time a designer is bought and paid for, and all the other work is
done, I will willingly pay three times the lowest bidder for three times
the quality.

The paint job is what makes the job!

Robert ... I've got a kitchen (white, Euro style, high gloss) coming up
that needs a world class paint job. You wanna drive to Houston for a
week and let me and Leon wine and dine you as part of the job?

.... I'm serious, anytime you want to discuss/consider.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010