Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Ductility of T-6 Aluminum

John wrote:

I've never heard of the running water part before.

What I did was mark the bend area with a marks-a-lot and burn it off
with a PROPANE torch. OA will burn it off - along with the metal -
if you are not really really careful.

A propane torch is hot enough for most applications. The cold water
does a better quench to soften the aluminum. You can bend 2024 is your
are careful and don't try for a square corner. two backup strips of the
same gauge will usually keep it from cracking especially if you anneal
it. When I was doing STC's for autopilot servo installations I would
order the metal in the annealed condition T0 and then after it was
bent it would be sent to an approved heat treat company but that would
probably be too expensive for your application.

John

You may be right about the propane - if the part is more than .125 thick
or too large to pick up...

My experience was hammer forming fairing strips around windshields and
tail feathers.

Propane is plenty hot enough for small parts.

--

Richard Lamb