Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Eco-fee - OT rant

On Oct 11, 8:15*pm, (dan) wrote:
Gerald Miller wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking *on Mon, 11 Oct 2010 01:01:12 -0400:

I can put any furniture that has outlived it's usefulness out for
pickup any collection day and it will be picked up (no appliances, but
they disappear soon anyhow) but let me put out the piece of drywall
that the baker used under my wife's birthday cake and the inspector
riding shotgun on the garbage truck will reject it and possibly every
thing else - I am supposed to take it or any other "construction
material" to a local private recycling facility (gravel pit) and pay
their minimum charge of $20.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I found that it I can get the dump (now transfer station) to take many
things that they say they won't with a few minutes work with a
sawzall. *They don't take large appliances, but they will take steel
scrap and electric motors. *They won't take furniture, but they will
take wood, cloth, and foam rubber. Etc.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Much of this seemingly arbitrary behaviour stems from the contract
that your municipality has with whatever organization is downstream.
My town recently changed recycling contractors, and they will now take
ANY paper or cardboard, ANY glass, ANY plastic and ANY metal (though
not appliances), ALL MIXED TOGETHER. I know there are machines that
can do some of the separation automatically, but I assume there are
minimum-wage people lined up along a conveyor belt picking through a
lot of this.