Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 15A outlets on 20A circuits

On Oct 12, 7:56*am, "RBM" wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Last week, I posted about running 12/2 wire for a kitchen reno. Well
all the circuits are run. I decided on running all 12/2 instead of
12/3 and splitting circuits. Looking ahead to outlets, had a question.
I think I know the answer, but just wanted to confirm.

I ran 4 new circuits for the fridge, microwave/range hood, and counter
outlets. Am I allowed to use regular 15A outlets? For the counter
outlets, I am using regular 15A Decora and GFI's, and for the fridge,
microwave just wanted to use regular outlets, like the kind you can
get a 10Pk for like $5 at Lowes.

15 amp outlets are fine. The refrigerator doesn't need to be GFCI
protected, but all the counter outlets do. A 15 amp GFCI outlet has a 20
amp feed through

Just to clarify. A single 15 amp outlet can't be installed on a 20 amp
dedicated circuit, but a duplex is fine

This is another example of things in the code that don't seem to make
any sense, at least to me. If one can install multiple 15 amp
outlets on a 20 amp circuit, why the restriction on installing just
one?

And while we're at it, the code also says you can use a 20 amp single
outlet on a 15 amp circuit, but you can't install multiple 20's on a
15 amp circuit.

Why the big distinction between single versus multiple outlets?