Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy[_4_] Michael Kennedy[_4_] is offline

Default SMPS Clicking...

"circuit" wrote in message

I think you hit the problem dead on. The Y sus board is getting quite hot
but the x sus isnt. Any idea what would cause the board to consume more
wattage and therefore get hot?

The components being heat-sinked are probably drawing too much power,
either because they are about to quit and go total short condition, or
whatever they are supplying drive power to is causing them to draw too
much power. I have seen X-sus main output components with the large heat
sinks short out, but so far never the Y-sys. A lot of the time the
components being heat sinked are proprietary, and seem to have these heat
sinks sonicly welded to them permanently. The only way to do a repair is
to do a board swap with a known good board. Good luck.

Hmm.. I will have to have a look at the transistors and see if they are
propritary. They are attached by bolts and this board is designed to be
reparied judging by the detail of the service manual.

This tv was quite expensive when new and seems as if built in a different
era.. Say 25 years ago back when thigs were buit with repair in mind. The SM
actually lists individual components and how to troubleshoot them.