Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Troubleshooting a mig welder

Wes wrote:
I periodically use a miller wire feed welder at work but lately it doesn't work so great.

I am not an ace welder by any means but usually I can weld something if I can position the
workpiece that doesn't embarase me.

We use .035 copper clad wire, a co2/argon mix for shield gas.

I don't get that frying bacon sound while welding but instead get a sound that makes me
think the wire is burning up in flight if that makes sense. I've played with wire speed
and voltage (yes, this thing has voltage instead of current markings).

I used another welder in another part of the shop and the difference was like night and
day. I don't know where to start troubleshooting this thing. Ideas?

Wes

First of all what make and model of welder? Can you watch the voltage
as you are welding? A bad connection somewhere in the loop is a likely
problem, but it could also be something internal in the welder itself.
I would compare the voltage reading while you are welding with the other
good working welder. You can feel is the wire is not feeding properly.
I would look over the tip and make sure that the holes for the gas are
open and there are no leaks in the feed system.

What does the weld itself look like? It could be possible that the gas
you have is not what it should be. I've seen tanks filled or labeled
wrong, it doesn't happen very often but it can happen.

John