Posted to rec.woodworking
Artemus[_4_] Artemus[_4_] is offline

Default Removing Rusty Nails from Wood

"Pilgrim" wrote in message
news

If you can tolerate a larger hole, This is what I have done. Take a
piece of tubing that will fit over the nail, with a file make the teeth
of a hole saw around the perimeter[for most purposes 4 teeth will do],
put in an electric drill and have at it.

CP

Roll pins work well for the above. I have had good success by
simply drilling 2 holes, approx the same size as the nail, on either
side of the nail. This allows the nail to be wiggled side to side and
extracted with needle nose pliers. Drilling on the end grain side of
the nail works best as those fibers seem to have a tighter grip than
the side fibers.
Art