Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Default Troubleshooting a mig welder

Wes wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Mon, 11 Oct 2010 18:46:50 -0400:

I periodically use a miller wire feed welder at work but lately it doesn't work so great.

I used another welder in another part of the shop and the difference was like night and
day. I don't know where to start troubleshooting this thing. Ideas?

Wes

Check the tip where the wire feeds out of the gun. It unscrews, and
will need to be replaced from time to time. Then check the drive
rollers that feed the wire from the spool. They can get gunked up,
and cause poor feeding. Also, check your ground clamp and wire. If
you don't have a good ground you won't get a good arc.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.