Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Keeping metal stuff in plastic shed

whit3rd wrote:
On Oct 10, 12:43 pm, Ignoramus10202 ignoramus10...@NOSPAM.
10202.invalid wrote:

Bought a 7x7 plastic shed. I want to keep metal stuff there. What are
practical ways to keep it from rusting.

1) Spray it with LPS-2 from a spray bottle

No. It's a good cleaner, but the residue it leaves isn't as
protective as wax would be. Wax or paint aren't enough, either,
that's why Cosmoline was invented. Boiled linseed oil
is a suitable wipe-on finish, I like it for my shovels and
such (does the handles good, too).

2) Have a 100 watt light bulb pn all the time.

Better, but... in case of condensing conditions (dewdrop
formation), the dew forms on whatever's coldest. That might
be the floor, the walls, or the steel items. The light bulb
might heat too much the items you don't want protected
(the floor and walls) which would endanger the items you
DO want to protect. By the time you add insulation to
the heat source, it's not just a shed any more.

Dehumidifier sounds like a good solution, but (trust me,
I've tested) the compressor/coils type generally
freezes up at any temperature under 60 degees, so most
places this won't work year-round. Electric bill is
gonna get high, too.

Not sure about your 60 degree limit, I bought a dehumidifier about 17
year ago and it was rated to operate down to +3 C, one of the reasons I
bought it, it has run as expected every year since without maintenance,
except clearing the filter, and has certainly run near freezing on many
occasions. I've bought another since and it's going well. My electric
bill isn't excessive and my machine toools are rust free.

If you can put plastic bags around the items, and put some
dessicant inside, THAT would work.