Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave, I can't do that Dave, I can't do that is offline

Default Adjusting Pumptrol pressure switch Range

@ Grumpy:
*Why not just replace the impellor?

Thanks for the reply. There is no leak back as I isolated the
accumulator and turned off the pump overnight. After 12 hours the
pressure was still the same so it is obviously wear or damaged
impeller in the pump.

It is going to cost $500 to lift and lower a 20-year old pump. Add a
new pump head to the old motor is another $520. For $1600 I can get it
all done with a new Gould. However cash is tight so I want to stretch
the useful life a little farther.

@LLoyd:
I am not missing the point, it is impossible to set the pumptrol cut-
in independent of the cut-out. I have studied the design and a softer
main spring would probably work. The secondary screw is **only** there
to adjust cut off pressure **providing** it is over the 20-psi
differential. That smaller post has a step that holds the secondary
spring above a threshold of the rising plate being pushed up with the
bellows. I could have set the cut-in pressure at 20-psi and then used
a spring that went over that step and rested on the rising plate,
**then** I could adjust the cut out pressure.

However, yesterday I bought a FURNAS (I use caps as lowercase makes it
look like FUMAS (Furnas)) control which is much better designed. It
has one screw for adjusting both cut-in and cut-out up or down. It has
a second screw that adjusts the cut-out pressure **without affecting
the cut-in**. It can range from 10 to 40 psi cut-in with a minimum
differential of 7-psi and a max cut-out of 80-psi. Perfect.

Starting at zero pressure, I ran the pump until it showed 20-psi and
adjusted the cut-in screw to click in. I then waited until it got to
35-psi and adjusted the cut-out screw for it to click open. Bingo, we
have a winner. I will replace the Pumptrol on my other well with a
Furnas as it is a much a better design.

I am not too concerned about the start/stops as the 200 gallon
accumulator buffers the water nicely. The pump will now run about
twice every three days. It runs for about 18 minutes to replenish the
accumulator and bring up the pressure. So for the $5 Furnas (used - 3
for $15) control, I have extended the life of the pump. I just had a
shower and 25-psi is quite adequate.

Dave