Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Water pump motor for wind turbine project?

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:21:02 -0700, Andy Dingley wrote:

On 10 Oct, 22:58, "AL_n" wrote:
I was thinking about buying that book. I was hoping to avoid spending
actual cash on this experiment though!

Well then for starters, web search for the American bunch using Volvo
240 hubs

Or pretty much any hub from a vehicle with disc brakes, really. There's
also some guy making blades using cut-down bits of (4", IIRC) PVC pipe
and he claims that they're effective - I'd be interested in comments from
anyone who's tried that.

You need to buy magnets and enamelled copper wire. A good workshop and
scrapstore might provide the rest.

re. wire, you could try companies who make use of the stuff. There's a
company in town here who throw out a surprising amount (particularly when
they cock up an order), but they won't deal with private individuals -
but other companies might be better.

cheers

Jules