Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water pump motor for wind turbine project?

AL_n wrote:
" wrote in news:a094f77c-2768-46dd-871e-
:

For charging a 12V battery, I'd have thought a car alternator *along
with the rectifier diodes and voltage regulation circuitry*, would be
the most suitable.

I would have thought so too. However, for some reason, the folks I've heard
of who build small wind turbines, always seem to use motors. I've never
heard of anyone using car alternators. Perhaps there is a reason for that.
Treadmill motors seem to be one of the favourites, for some reason.

However, there's still a lot of work in *safely* mounting the blades
(i.e. well above the height anyone could reach into the blades) and
alternator at the top of a pole, and suitable arrangements to keep it
turned into the wind - and making it safe in storm conditions.

I'm aware of all that, thanks - I was just asking about a suitable
generator/dynamo that I might be able to obtain cheaply.

A motor is a dynamo ..more or less.

Al