Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Water pump motor for wind turbine project?

On 10 Oct, 18:02, "AL_n" wrote:
I stumbled accross what appears to be a 3-blade microlite aircraft
propellor, and have ideas of using this in the construction of a small wind
turbine for charging a 12v battery. I'm looking for a suitable motor to use
as the generator/dynamo. From what I've gleaned, I gather a 240v DC motor
would be most suitable.

I have a Clarke submersible water pump (model CSE1A) which I could butcher,
but is the motor AC or DC? Nothing in the specs tells me. Here is a manual:

http://www.clarkeservice.co.uk/manua...r_pumps/csd-cs...

I suspect it may be an AC motor, since it is only required to run at a
fixed speed...

If so, which common domstic appliances do contain 240v DC motors?

Many thanks,

Al

As some-one else has said with such limited technical knowledge as
you have, you are on to a no-goer.
There is no such thing as a DC motor/generator, they all run on AC.
Some have mechanical inverters/rectifiers fitted called commutators.
All rotating electrical machines will either generate or can be run
as a motor.
There are several different principles, you need to get read up if
you're going to dabble.
If you're going to mess with a wind turbine, you really need an
efficient motor/ generator as so little energy is available to start
with.
You need to get well read up on current wind turbine design, there is
no point re-inventing the wheel. There's no excuse these days, there
is a wealth of information on the internet.