Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Removing Rusty Nails from Wood

Being fence posts, they have been in wet weather. Likely the nail
expanded by rust and has a good hold on.

Maybe the best way is to pound them through with a punch. Cut off
the head (grind ?) and use a flat face punch.

I rather expect there is enough wood there with nails you want to save.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 10/10/2010 7:29 PM, sam wrote:
I got some old oak fence posts with nails in them. Of course, when
I try to take out the nails, they break off. Is there is ingenious
way to get these old nails out? When I plane down the good wood after
taking out the nails, this oak is just plain beautiful.

Thanks,

PS - Yes, I have a Lumber Wizard!